Cristiano Ronaldo has sent plenty of aid to assist those affected by the earthquake that ripped through Turkey and Syria with the former Manchester United man sending tents, food packages and medical supplies
Cristiano Ronaldo embraces a young fan
Cristiano Ronaldo has shown his class by delivering a plane load of care items to the victims affected by the earthquake in Syria and Turkey.
More than 50,000 people were killed when earthquakes hit Turkey and Syria last month whilst thousands more are still missing, injured or homeless as a result. The former Manchester United star, now plying his trade in Saudi Arabia, has looked to help those in the areas most impacted.
He has been deeply affected by the scenes that has seen so many lose their lives and wants to make a difference. The 37-year-old has paid for tents, food packages, pillows and blankets, beds, baby food and milk and medical supplies with the goods being sent to both countries, reports the Daily Mail.
Lionel Messi reaches mind-blowing career milestone way ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
Reiss Nelson admits he only struck Arsenal’s 97th-minute winner after change of heart
Ronaldo also met a young boy from Syria who told rescue workers that he wanted to meet the iconic superstar. Nabil Saeed came face to face with his idol on Friday after being invited to watch Al Nassr. The pair met before the match, sharing a hug and a high-five.
“When I saw Ronaldo, I thought it was a dream. I didn’t believe myself. When this dream would end, I didn’t know. I pray to God that it will not be a dream,” Saeed told Reuters. “I wish everyone could see Ronaldo. He is very nice person.
Ex-Premier League footballer Christian Atsu is among the thousands to have been found dead, almost two weeks after the Turkey earthquake.
The Ghanaian played for Chelsea and Newcastle during his career and was playing for Turkish club Hatayspor. He is believed to have been living in a complex in Antakya which killed hundreds of people as it collapsed.
The Premier League donated £1 million to the Disasters Emergency Committee amidst a huge humanitarian response from countries around the globe.
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, who attracted Ronaldo’s talent after his sudden exit from Old Trafford, also provided significant aid to those affected.
Ronaldo has a long history of philanthropic acts with the five-time Ballon d’Or in a position to make a difference. He once paid £69,000 to pay for child’s brain surgery and has also donated £137,000 to help fund a cancer centre in his homeland.
During the coronavirus pandemic Ronaldo also gave £1m to Portuguese hospitals.